The National Council on Prices and Reimbursement of Medicinal Products is the most recently established Bulgarian state administration, created in 2013 by decree of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Bulgaria.
The National Council on Prices and Reimbursement of Medicinal Products (NCPRMP) is a state authority which:
• regulates the prices of medicinal products according to European directives and the national legislation;
• defines a list of medicinal products – the Positive Drug List – provided to the citizens through the health insurance system of the Republic of Bulgaria;
NCPRMP determines and records the prices of medicinal products authorized for use in the Republic of Bulgaria, which are:
• provided to citizens, paid in full or in part by public funds;
• provided to citizens on a medical prescription;
• provided to citizens without a medical prescription.
For the purpose of the effective implementation of its state regulatory functions, NCPRMP has developed and implemented the National Information System on Pricing and Reimbursement of Medicinal Products in the Republic of Bulgaria. The information system includes a Single National Portal (http://portal.ncpr.bg), which serves as an entry point for all stakeholders in the process of pricing and reimbursement of medicines – state institutions, businesses and citizens.
Specialized modules for maintenance of electronic public registers and electronic administrative services are integrated in the implemented National Information System. Furthermore, an administrative-information system for document management, workflow management, modules for management and updating of the maintained (six) public registers, data filters on different search criteria of medicinal products are integrated into the system.
The National Information System is web-based and implements the following innovative for Bulgaria solutions:
• Dynamic storage and provision of data on the prices and the reimbursement of medicinal products – single data entry and multiple use “Once Only Principle”;
• Embedded technology modules for maintenance and updating of electronic public registers of medicinal products;
• Electronic administrative services provided to businesses (pharmaceutical companies);
• Electronic management of administrative business processes.
Strategic objectives achieved on national level:
• Implementation of European and national priorities for eHealth development;
• Participation in the integration process of information processes / systems in the pharmaceutical policy sector;
• Introduction of mechanisms for providing public information on prices and reimbursement of medicinal products paid by budget and personal means;
• Transparent management of the processes of pricing and reimbursement of medicinal products in the Republic of Bulgaria;
• Reducing the administrative burden on businesses and citizens by providing quality and easily accessible electronic services.
Practical results achieved:
• Cost reduction for medicines from the state budget;
• Cost reduction for the companies;
• Keeping up-to-date and consolidated information;
• Reduced reporting time for results achieved;
• Limited direct contact with the state body;
• Ex-officio data exchange;
• Remote access to data from an unlimited number of users - state institutions, health insurance fund, businesses, citizens, hospitals, pharmacies, doctors, pharmacists and others;
• Unique identification code introduced for each medicinal product, up to the level of the packaging;
• Accelerated and complete digitization;
• Unified data nomenclatures for medicinal products maintained: pharmaceutical form, pharmaceutical group, packaging, level of payment, manufacturers, etc;
• Structured data processing on the prices and reimbursement of medicinal products;
• Keeping an electronic file of each medicinal product;
• Embedded mobile web interface and mobile applications for access to public registers;
• Machine-readable data maintenance using the "Web-service" data exchange service;
• Service for people with disabilities introduced – reading through an electronic reader.
|Award category:||new solutions to complex challenges - a public sector citizen-centric, sustainable and fit for the future - european or national level|
|Sector:||Public health and social welfare/affairs|
|Type of activity:|
|Keywords:||e-Health;web-portal;e-public registers and e-services;once-only principle;open source portal;system-to-system;unique drug ID number;web-service data exchange;structured data;digitization;e-dossier;unified nomenclatures; an unlimited number of users.|
|Short English description:||For the purpose of the effective implementation of its state regulatory functions, NCPRMP has developed and implemented the National Information System on Pricing and Reimbursement of Medicinal Products in the Republic of Bulgaria. The information system includes a Single National Portal (http://portal.ncpr.bg), which serves as an entry point for all stakeholders in the process of pricing and reimbursement of medicines – state institutions, businesses and citizens.|
|Organisation:||National Council on Prices and Reimbursement of Medicinal Products|
|Level of government:||national level|
|Size of organisation:||25-50|
|Number of people involved:||>15|
|EU membership:||EU member|